Thursday, March 26, 2020

George R.R. Martin reacts to Westworld GoT cameo backlash: “It was just a bit of fun”

Westworld Drogon Weiss Benioff

As we reported on this past Monday, the above-pictured key Game of Thrones players—showrunners Benioff and Weiss, and starring dragon Drogon— made an amusing little cameo in Westworld’s latest episode. Then this corner of the internet kind of exploded with reactions ranging from the intended laughter to befuddlement or even anger.

Thankfully, A Song of Ice and Fire author George R.R. Martin is here to bring some much-needed perspective to this whole thing…

In his definitely-a-blog ‘Not A Blog‘ blog, Martin praises Westworld as a “terrific show”, though he had yet another reason to watch when his “friend Jonah Nolan”, the co-showrunner, told him to be sure to watch last week’s episode.

“I was indeed amused when we came on the cameo of The Three Ds: David Benioff, Dan Weiss, and Drogon. I thought it was a fun moment, and it made me smile.”

“Subsequently, of course, the internet has blown up over the cameo, as the internet is wont to do. Some people loved the cameo, some hated it, and everybody, it seems to me, is making way too much of it. Hey, folks, c’mon. It was just a bit of fun. A sort of Easter Egg. You all like Easter Eggs in your video games, don’t you? If you blinked, you could have missed it… kind of like the appearance of Yul Brynner’s “man in black” robot from the original WESTWORLD movie that appeared first season. I have been known to do that sort of thing myself. Sharp-eyed readers of A SONG OF ICE & FIRE long ago noticed the appearance of the Three Stooges in the first novel, and my subsequent mentions of how giants devoured Triarch Belicho and a knight wearing Dallas Cowboys heraldry. And if you missed those… as 98% of the readers did… that’s fine, they were just a tip o’ the hat. I also have houses named after the great fantasists Jack Vance, Roger Zelazny, and Robert Jordan, for what it’s worth. More tips o’ my hat. (I wear a lot of hats).”

George R.R. Martin Game of Thrones Pilot Cameo CostumeMartin then lists the cameos he has done himself over the years, such as Z Nation, Sharknado 3, and his much-discussed Game of Thrones pilot cameo, during the wedding of Daenerys and Drogo, which was cut once much of the episode was re-shot.

“Had I been in Los Angeles at the time of the filming, I might well have been part of that WESTWORLD cameo as well. Jonah and Lisa have also stated that the whole thing was my idea. Which is true. Kinda sorta. No, I had no idea this particular moment was coming until I caught it on HBO… but back during WESTWORLD’s season one, I did suggest to Jonah that, seeing as how the original WESTWORLD film featured a Medieval World, the TV version could easily have a Westeros World.”

“Jonah Nolan and Lisa Joy mentioned that I worked in television back in the 80s, when crossovers between shows were more common,” he adds, going on to mention examples such as Simon & Simon with Magnum P.I., and their attempt with Twilight Zone.

“As for the WESTWORLD cameo,” Martin finishes, “Robbie the Robot had a long career in film and television after FORBIDDEN PLANET. Why would we want to begrudge Drogon the same?”

Who indeed.

Daenerys Drogon Season 4 401 Meereen Targaryen

Be sure to read the entire thing at Martin’s blog!

The post George R.R. Martin reacts to Westworld GoT cameo backlash: “It was just a bit of fun” appeared first on Watchers on the Wall.


Via http://watchersonthewall.com

No comments:

Post a Comment