Saturday, November 14, 2020

Check In: What are Game of Thrones Cast Members Up to in 2020?

Tywin death

When Game of Thrones ended in May 2019, I went into an underground bunker to mourn its loss, and didn’t come out for fresh supplies until this morning. Has anything happened in the months since I left? ….Oh…I see…hmmm…. Well – More time to hunker down and read the next book in A Song of Ice and Fire! When did The Winds of Winter come out? Surely, sometime in the last year? ….Oh…I see…..hmmm… Well, then it must be time to catch up with the one-time cast of Game of Thrones and see what they’re up to these days!

Tywin Lannister’s Charles Dance, one-time father of the year, and regretful chamber pot-sitter of an unlocked privy, caught The Huffington Post up on how what he’s been up to in 2020: He’s been hard at work on a secret project for Netflix; “I’m very lucky, especially at the moment when the world’s turned upside down and people from all walks of life are struggling in one way or another.” Eventually conversation turned – as it always does – to the heavily chided (though not by me) final season of GOT. “I have to say, personally, I was underwhelmed…It was decided by committee and I thought, ‘Oh, no, no, no, no, no.’ I wanted it to go out with a bang…Anyway, it’s just nitpicking…I wouldn’t have continued to watch it if the show hadn’t been good. It raised the bar when it came to television drama.” Well, at least he acknowledged that GOT is in the upper echelon of TV, even if he didn’t like its conclusion.

Khal Drogo’s Jason Momoa, one-time Khal of a Dothraki horde turned Atlantean King with a trident, lamented recently on how he didn’t fare so well after filming the first season (before GOT went on to be a phenomenon: “I mean, we were starving after Game of Thrones,” he says. “I couldn’t get work. It’s very challenging when you have babies and you’re completely in debt,” he told InStyle. Luckily, he’s booked through 2024 with various projects.

Ramsay Bolton’s, Iwan Rheon, one-time holder of the title of the most sadistic man in Westeros with the absolutely dreamiest eyes (you know it’s true), shared a couple of his thoughts on his sojourn to Westeros in several interviews more recently. Sharing with Metro, Rheon revealed that the worst day of his career was the day he had to film the infamous wedding night scene with Sansa Stark: “That was horrible. Nobody wanted to be there. Nobody wants to do that, but if it’s telling a story then you have to tell it truthfully…They didn’t sensationalise it or anything. It was very, very hard watching. It’s a horrible thing that happens, unfortunately, and it shouldn’t be.” And while I’m sure many will agree with his sentiment, he had least had a more optimistic experience on the final season than did many of his former castmates: “I felt that they made a very strong decision to where they thought the season would go and I think they went with it and told the story really well…I thought the Battle of Winterfell was absolute genius, the best television I’ve ever seen. I thought it was really brave and they went for it,” he told NME And then when prodded to call out Charles Dance, he refused to submit: “I’ve got no problem with him [Dance] saying what he wants to say, and what should anyone? It’s his opinion.”

Lastly – and here’s a fun one – Jojen Reed’s Thomas Brodie-Sangster, one-time keeper of King Bran’s confidence, and fun-to-be-around doomsayer, has an opinion on the final season of GOT that he shared with NME. Well, more like a lack of one: “I’m still halfway through season four…I don’t have the right channel and just lost track of it a bit… I was thinking the other day I should probably watch it again, because it was really good.” I’m…not quite sure I have a follow up to this.

You can find Charles Dance in the upcoming 4th season of Netflix’s The Crown, and David Fincher’s upcoming Netflix movie, Mank.

You can find Jason Momoa in Dune, currently due for release towards the end of 2021, and an upcoming Netflix movie called Sweet Girl.

You can find Iwan Rheon appearing at some point in an upcoming British show called The Snow Spider.

You can find Thomas Brodie-Sangster currently appearing in Netflix’s acclaimed miniseries, The Queen’s Gambit.

The post Check In: What are Game of Thrones Cast Members Up to in 2020? appeared first on Watchers on the Wall.


Via http://watchersonthewall.com

No comments:

Post a Comment