Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Tuesday Interview Round-up: Sophie Turner on the season premiere, and more!

Theon Sansa water

We’re in the Game of Thrones in-season now, with interviews galore. Here’s a fresh batch, featuring Sophie Turner, Joe Naufahu, Gemma Whelan and more!

In a new interview with the New York Times, Sophie Turner shares her thoughts on her scenes in the season premiere, and gives a peek at what Sansa Stark will be up to this year. On the moment when Sansa accept’s Brienne’s vow of loyalty, the actress says,

It felt like the first time since maybe Tyrion that someone has really been on her side and rooting for her — Littlefinger had questionable morals. So it was a really big deal for them to just swear to be good to each other, and for the first time Sansa believes it. She knows she has the power to start gathering people to help her on her journey.

As for what else her character will be up to in season 6, Turner offers this:

“It’s about her going to people and trying to get them to listen to her, and showing them that she’s not just a stupid young girl anymore. She’s been through it all and she’s come out the other side with vast amounts of knowledge. She knows how to manipulate and she knows the politics — she’s had a front seat for this kind of thing from the moment she was a prisoner for the Lannisters. She’s watched Cersei and Margaery and Littlefinger and Tyrion, and she’s learned from all of them. Now she knows how to play the game.”

While speaking with IGN, Turner explains further:

Her motivation going forward is revenge on all the people that have done her wrong. […] The fact that she has someone behind her now foreshadows the fact that she’s going to start building a group of people who really listen to her for the first time. It’s important that the first one of them is a woman, and that’s her only gateway into making the men listen to her. It definitely foreshadows good things for her.

As for Brienne and Sansa’s new alliance, Turner explains, “They’re kind of like a duo who are quite powerful in their own right because Brienne has these amazing set of skills and also is such a strong woman and really inspires Sansa to be that person, to stand up in front of her enemies. Sansa knows how to play the game.”

There is more in the IGN and New York Times interviews, so check them out!


YaraYara Greyjoy is returning in season six, and the Ironborn storyline looks to be on the rise. Gemma Whelan talks to StarryMag about her work on Game of Thrones. She avoid spoilers, but opens up about Yara and her relationships.

“I think people can see form watching the show that at her core she cares deeply about the morally correct thing to do, but has also worked very hard to get where she is as a leader of men and a strong, fierce warrior in her own right in Theon’s (Alfie Allen) absence. I think her relationship with her father is volatile, as we have seen as well. I suppose like any family they have got their problems, but they know each other quite well – Yara and Balon ”

The actress tells a funny tale about her first season on Game of Thrones. “The first thing I ever did was my final scene. It was very intimidating because it was at a huge table of men who were eating. Alfie comes into the hall all haughty and I was so nervous that day. I’m a vegetarian – or a pescatarian at least. But the stage direction was ‘Yara eating meat voraciously and swigging ale.’ Props didn’t know I was a vegetarian so they’d prepared all these chicken legs for me. I was so nervous to say, “I’m sorry I don’t eat meat,” that I just ate chicken all day. All the vegetarians out there will be screaming at me for having no integrity whatsoever,” she laughs, relating the story.

Visit StarryMag for the full interview!


Brenock O’Connor hasn’t had the easiest time since his character Olly helped kill Jon Snow last year in the season finale, but he’s handling it.

“If you get people from Spain and Portugal and all over the world saying they are going to kill your family, you just can’t take it to heart or you would not cope,” the young actor tells the Brighton Argus.

He shrugs off the threats though, saying, “It’s laughable how people think the show is realistic enough for them to send messages like this to someone who is not the character. I find it quite funny.”

That said, fans, let’s not make a habit of making threatening remarks to the cast on social media, even in a joking fashion.


Over at Variety, they’ve captured several of the GoT stars’ responses to Melisandre’s big reveal in the season premiere.

“I feel like it’s a very confusing moment for audience members, but it keeps you watching, and all does get revealed,” Maisie Williams says. “When I read it I was really confused, and then when I watched it I was like, ‘oh, I get it,’ and ‘holy s—, that’s Carice.’ It’s incredible that it’s full-body makeup.”

Tom Wlaschiha says that, “it’s actually a very moving and touching moment. The way Carice is playing that is amazing, because it’s just in her eyes. She looks in that blind mirror and you can totally see her façade coming off.”

Find out what Liam Cunningham, John Bradley, Isaac Hempstead Wright and Sophie Turner thought over at Variety!


MoroTalkNerdyWithUs speaks with new cast member Joe Naufahu about how he learned he’d won the role of Khal Moro in season 6 and much more in a new interview.

Naufahu says that before he joined the show, he’d “often sit and imagine” himself roles on Game of Thrones, “annoying the hell out of the people watching it with me because I would constantly tell them how much I would love to get a role!”

He found out he’d won the part surrounded by family, as it happens.

I was on the road at the time and I had just finished a self-tape for something else where I had to use my 9-year-old girl as my reader and my 7-year-old son to hold the camera. I thought my agent was ringing to say wtf. (laughs). Anyway, they weren’t and I can remember getting off the phone and having a little cry with the cutest film crew ever and celebrating with them over a communal stack of pancakes that morning.

The actor does say that his khal will be different than Jason Momoa’s Khal Drogo. He says, “I just hope the fans see Moro in his own light and that I gave the Dothraki a new flavour that they will enjoy watching.”

Swing by TalkNerdyWithUs for Naufahu talking more on his background, his training and running his own gym!

The post Tuesday Interview Round-up: Sophie Turner on the season premiere, and more! appeared first on Watchers on the Wall.


Via http://watchersonthewall.com

No comments:

Post a Comment