Sunday, February 21, 2016

Natalie Dormer defends violence on Game of Thrones: “I don’t think we do young people any favors by sheltering them”

margaery

During a recent interview with The Sunday Times, Natalie Dormer defended some of the controversial aspects of Game of Thrones, discussed the fantasy genre’s role as a commentary on real-world atrocities and cautioned viewers from watching the show for escapism.

Dormer, who has campaigned against child marriage and female genital mutilation, admits, “I find parts of the show difficult to watch, but I don’t think we do young people any favors by sheltering them.”

For example, she considers the show’s infamous rape scenes (often committed by husbands against their wives) a potential tool to “start a conversation about the statistics of rape and how much it happens within the family”.

At any rate, Dormer rejects the notion that television is inherently escapist. “All I know is that I turn on the news, and it’s covering a boy drowning off the coast, or children being shown beheading videos,” she says. “The horror of human nature is prevalent in our world, and I appreciate that some people want to turn on the telly for escapism – but if that’s what you want, don’t watch Game of Thrones … I choose fantasy to vent, to process complex political, sexual and social politics at the safe distance of fiction. For me, that’s what art should be.”

Dormer did discuss actors’ lack of created control and that, whatever viewers may think of Margaery, she really has no influence over her character’s actions (a sentiment Iwan Rheon has also expressed). “You sign on the dotted line, give them seven years and don’t get to alter the writing,” she said. “An actor is a conduit to a writer. The message comes from the writing. I can’t – as Natalie – defend everything Margaery does, as that’s not my job.”

The post Natalie Dormer defends violence on Game of Thrones: “I don’t think we do young people any favors by sheltering them” appeared first on Watchers on the Wall.


Via http://watchersonthewall.com

No comments:

Post a Comment